Wednesday 28 September 2011

First Run

So I finally did it!  I got myself dressed and ready before J2 toddled off to nursery so I could go straight off running when I parked the car on the drive, and I stuck to it!

I decided to ease myself in gently, given that I have done no exercise for about 4 years and went with a 4 minutes run, one minute walk strategy, on the basis that I would do 20 minutes at a reasonable pace and that seemed to work really well.  I covered more distance than I thought I would certainly!

I also decided that this time around I would run with an Ipod.  This is not something I did in the past whilst training or racing, and oh my god, what had I missed out on.  It was fantastic!  The time flew by and it was much easier to gage the time I had been running by how many songs had played rather than doing the dreaded 'looking at the watch' every 30 seconds!  I am a definite convert.

I found that I ran better to 'heavy/noisy' songs rather than perhaps the type I would just listen to indoors.  When I am starting to get tired I try and make myself run faster so that when I slow my original pace seems good again and I certainly needed the music to help me achieve that.

And I must note, I think that Mother Nature was listening when I pledged that I would run today.  It was the most perfect and beautiful weather for it, warm with a light breeze, which made the seafront which I ran absolutely picturesque, the sea was blue and twinkling away, stunning.  It made me realise how much I have missed it and that I am very blessed to have the ability to be able to run.

This was certainly the right decision.

As well as being good and going out for my run today I also entered myself into the Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon in March 2012, so I now have a firm goal to work towards.  Now I need to find myself some shorter races to build on! 

What a good start!  Until the next run!

1 comment:

  1. OMG you are a complete heroine. RUNNING? While your child is at nursery? What a star. I had better take a leaf out of your book. Good luck with the half marathon.

    ReplyDelete