Sunday 25 September 2011

The Exciting Bit

As with any new (or in this case 're-born') hobby, one of the most exciting parts is the bit where you get to go out, check out what you need to par-take in aforementioned hobby, and BUY it (you shouldn't be surprised that I am excited at this, afterall I am female and gave up shopping for myself when I had kids!) 

Now as noted in my previous blog, I started running because it was free and that is still one of the best parts about it (plus, you can literally run 'anywhere' so you can see all manner of amazing things) but one thing you do need to invest in for this activity is a decent pair of running shoes.

Now I lucked out in a BIG way the first time around with this particularly need to expend lots of cash.  I went along to watch my great friend (Big AW) participate in a Basketball Tournament.  While we were there, raffle tickets came around and I bought a frugal one strip.  At the end of the tournament, the tickets were drawn and I won.  The first prize?  A pair of (massive) Mens Basketball Shoes!

Now of course I didn't donn that particular pair and run the marathon attempting to be a clown, no no, the actual prize allowed me to go to the (very generous) shoe shop and swap them for something in my size.  And, this is a good story for kids actually, because I went along and didn't choose the most expensive pair of running shoes in the store (remember you have to find running shoes for fit and comfort, not look or style, although I did love my first pair, and we went through so much together!) he also chucked in a load of running socks, some sweat bands and sponsored my Marathon quest.

But alas, one pair of running shoes does not a life time make, and I am pretty sure that my old faithfuls wouldn't serve my knees well this time around.  So today, my hubby informed me last night, we are off out to get me some new foot coverage, and I have woken up today as excited as a child waiting for Christmas!  I am slightly surprised by this, because usually I am a bit adverse to spending on money on things for myself (I have plenty and I am not the one growing out of everything, fortnightly, it sometimes seems!)  However, I think because I really do need these to be able to slot another piece of the 'Back to Running' plan into action, it throws a whole new light on the matter.

I have noted however, that I do only need shoes, I still have (and somehow fit into) all my running clobber from last time.  But I suppose if there is something hi-vis in Pink, that wouldn't go a-miss...

1 comment:

  1. Hi,following back from the weekend hop,looking forward to following your running :)

    ReplyDelete